Saturday, April 18, 2009

Water Show

We sat on the deck and watched two muskrats perform water aerobics in the lake tonight as the sun sank below the horizon and spread a peach-orange glow over the lake. They dove and swam in circles like water-ballet acrobats for the longest time, seemingly lost in play. I had to wonder where the choreography came from, what was going on inside their little heads, and if this was some sort of mating ritual or just idle frolic.

Earlier, when pounding the pavement during my 2-mile walk, I ran into one of these little critters. I saw him first, sitting on the side of the road pawing at a pile of dirt, but then he saw me and stiffened for an instant before slithering away into the inlet creek.

I like living in a place where animals can still successfully survive in their natural habitat in the wild. I feel like I belong, too.

No comments: