Friday, April 17, 2009

Night Wars

Last night was long; the hours dripped like cold, deathly-dark molasses. I felt beaten down holistically: body, soul, spirit. Obstacles, fears, pain, worry, distress pressed from every side. My humanness stood firm until I melted in God’s faithful arms and found some release and sleep as the sun rose.

I’m guessing the following poem was written somewhere around 3:00 a.m. Even then, it was therapeutic knowing I was not alone and that the travail would pass.

Today our younger son and his friend will repair our (extremely dangerous) barn roof. For perspective, I will share that two professional roofing companies jacked up the price big time because THEY didn’t want to have to climb up on that slippery, steep, tall, hazardous metal roof. So instead, we send our loved one up there, and his young buddy. I have no peace about it.

The God who rescued me last night will send His guardian angels. Forever Priest, Lord Jesus: come.

___________________________


Night Wars

Shadows march around the walls,
Slinky creatures known for madness.
Anguish answers with a moan,
Panic overwhelms with sadness.

Losses prowl around like bats,
Ready to pursue their feastings.
Night of predators prevails,
Shadows take on shapes of beast wings.

Feeble prey can feel the pain,
Cowers in a corner crying.
Sirens blast their wailing screams,
There is only time for sighing.

Forever Priest,
Lord Jesus:
COME!

Wrestled to the floor I lay,
Outnumbered but protected there.
God takes all my panicked fears,
And battles them - their every dare.

Rescue hails when dawn is nigh,
After grief has done its reaping.
New hope will come for certain,
It’s no longer time for weeping.

Someday all my earthly night,
Will give way to glory’s glowing.
Final rest will come at last,
Shadows fade in love’s all-knowing.

No comments: