I do it almost every year – start making a time-consuming, hand-crafted Christmas gift just days before Christmas.
This year it’s a tea cosy. Yes, that’s with an “s” rather than a “z.” If you do your homework, you’ll find
out tea cosies are very British in origin, and this is their spelling.
I recently learned in the 1800’s, afternoon tea became an important time for British statesmen to talk over politics, and if the tea got cold, their
sessions were cut short. Hot tea,
however, kept the conversation going, so tea cosies came into being. The idea
caught on, and the rest is history.
British tea-lovers are currently very zealous
and protective of the norms surrounding their knitted cosies. These hat-like teapot covers are always made
of wool with a ribbed pattern to provide pockets of air, and thus greater
insulation. Any other material and
pattern, they say, is dissent. And
woe to the dissenters who make cosies out of acrylic in less-than-insulative
patterns, usually Americans.
According to Brits in the know, those dissidents don’t know what they’re doing, how they’re
desecrating tradition.
So I decided to do it right. I researched British cosies and selected a pattern that is
considered authentic. I purchased
three colors of wool, lovely tweedy stuff that looks like it grew on sheep that
had grazed on England’s moors. The
question remains: will my cosy be finished by Christmas? I can’t answer that.
Yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment