Sixty-four
Minus
Fifty
Equals
Fourteen.
While pushing skates
(Left, right, left, right)
And panting hard
(In, out, in, out),
Part of me is back there,
Fourteen again.
I’m hypnotized,
Carried through time,
To half a century ago.
Gliding smooth,
I forget
Old age tension, stiffness,
Burning ankles,
And my own skull-cracking injury
Of several years ago.
For several round trips
Around the rink
Amnesia erases
Thoughts of an incident
When my friend
Broke her wrist.
I’m free, younger than I am,
Light but strong,
Smooth-sailing.
But recollection taps
My shoulder
Like a bony finger
Until I remember
Those episodes
Of ice-inflicted pain,
And wonder
At the wisdom
Of thin silver blades
Beneath me.
Hesitancy’s finger beckons;
I shrug it off,
Choosing strict attention
And careful speed
Over fear.
Meanwhile, Old Man Winter
Stands sentinel
Over the lake,
Quietly holding it
In cupped, frozen hands,
Breathing an icy wind
That sweeps my warm breath
And carries it,
Chilled in white gusts,
To the
Far side of the lake.
In mid-stride
As I skate the rink’s perimeter,
A masked man
Bearing Winter’s image
Threatens a holdup,
But his eyes smile
And he offers
A thermal mug
Of Hazlenut coffee
Instead.
I remove the skates
And plunge icy toes
Into cold boots,
Then sit lakeside with
The only other person I know
Who understands being
Swept back in time
At the lake.
No comments:
Post a Comment