We were playing cards this evening with friends when someone
said, “Holy Cow!” as an expletive. “Hey, where did that saying come from,
anyway?” someone else asked. So
while the cards were being shuffled and dealt for the next hand, I turned to
Google for an answer.
“Holy Cow!” could be classified as a “minced oath.” Such euphemistic expressions change words
in order to say something that might be blasphemous or otherwise taboo, without
actually saying it. Simple
examples might be “darn” for damn and “heck” for Hell.
One way to think about “Holy Cow!” is that it is a euphanism
for “Holy Christ” – a way to cover over slandering the Lord’s name . Another possibility surmises
its origins go back to the story of the idolatrous golden calf in Exodus. Yet another stems from the Hindu
worship of cows as reincarnated humans.
Remember the Batman series? Literally hundreds of combinations were used with Holy as
the prefix followed by an everyday word: Holy Nightmare, Holy Vertebrae, Holy
Snowman. These were in turn
spoofed by media and movies in the later 20th century by whatever
seemed relevant: Holy Flypaper, Holy Schizophrenia, Holy Geography.
As I read about the casual uses of the word holy I shuddered,
especially in regard to those with spiritual connotations. Biblically speaking, anything that is holy is sacred ground:
belonging to, derived from, or associated with the divine; worthy of worship;
set apart for God; deserving reverence.
To poke fun at holiness seems at least slanderous, or at most evil. By definition, the word holy is
sacramental.
The card game is over and our friends have left, and yet I'm still thinking about this. Perhaps others might think I’m getting too serious over
something that really doesn’t matter, and would like to suggest I lighten up
and not take a silly expression so seriously. However, I defer to Matthew 5 when Jesus is talking during the Sermon on the Mount about many critically important things,
including swearing by oaths to make a point. In Matthew 5:37 he warns against embellishment or
exaggeration: “All you need to say is simply “yes” or “no”: anything beyond
this comes from the evil one.”
No comments:
Post a Comment