I’m aware of the collective names used to describe specific groups of animals, such as:
Herd of antelope/deer/horses/buffalo/pigs
School of fish
Bed of clams
Pod of whales
Colony of rats
Army of frogs
Gaggle of geese
Litter of cats/kittens
Swarm of ants
Brood of chicks/hens
Swarm of bees/butterflies
Pack of dogs/hounds
Flock of sheep
Congregation of eagles/birds
Flock of ducks/birds
Nest of mice
BUT…I’ve never heard of this one:
Zeal of zebras
The word zeal in this case means the same thing as herd (compare to the first item, herd, in the long line-up). It does not mean zealous zebras. (Are zebras even capable of being passionately intense?) Nor does it mean zealot zebras. (Could a zebra have befriended Simon Peter?!)
But anyway, now I want to write a story about a zeal of zebras - or a poem, or a limerick. Oh yeah, that’s it, some sort of tongue-twister for a speed-reading, tongue-tripping contest. Something about those zany, zelophobic (c’mon, look it up if you really care to know) zeals of zebras.
Here are a couple of other zebra facts I found out…not that anyone but me (except other word-freaks) would ever care to know. A zebroid/zebrine/zebrass is a young zebra. But a zebrula is the offspring of a female horse and a male zebra! Now I must ask…did you even know this was a possibility? I wonder if there’s such a thing as a zeal of zebrulas? Or if zebrulas prefer to be herds? Hmmmm. Such a deep subject for contemplation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment