Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Today's Headline

Fritz came inside from the deck just a minute ago and made a bee-line toward the kitchen to warm up leftovers for lunch: last night’s fresh-caught fish that he’d had for dinner. I was already chowing my lunch: a spinach salad with pineapple, grapes, raisins and pecans. Mmmmmmm.

He pronounced one of his famous headlines on his way by, as if it had been sitting on his shoulder like ripe fruit, ready to drop off. “The battle between light and dark is the battle for the mind.”

The next thing I know, his head is in the refrigerator and he’s looking for leftover tartar sauce. No preface to the headline, no details, just the conclusion.

All I could say in response was to muffle a quote from Paul in Romans 12:2 through a mouth full of spinach:

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

“Yes. Exactly.”

End of conversation

No comments: