Monday, October 5, 2009

Santa Came!

I GOT A NEW SAFARI UPGRADE LAST NIGHT!

We crawled into bed around 10:30 like a couple of rag dolls well-buffeted by remodel work, with heads and limbs sagging from fatigue. Fritz groaned, no doubt from sheer exhaustion, and said, “What is that noise?” Of course I thought to myself, what noise you goofus, all I hear is the stuff in my head. “Your laptop (which was in the same room) sure is chewing on something.”

My tinnitus masks lots of outside sounds, so of course I couldn’t hear what he was talking about. Nor did I really care. “Well, it IS chewing on something – yum yum – my new Safari upgrade!”

“Ohhhhhhhh, okay.”

“Go in the other room to sleep if it’s bugging you.” I sort of snapped this at him – like c’mon, you should have to deal with the noise in my head every night when you try to go to sleep!

“Ahhhgggggg.” (silence) “Mug…whumf. Um.”

The next thing I heard was his old-man-version of schna-shup-snoring, the jumpy grinding sleep-apnea kind that is becoming the hallmark of this phase of our life. Unfortunately I DO hear that. Schlump-wheeez. Klah-snop.

The computer continued to chew, and Fritz continued to snore, and I fell into a comatose post-new-floor-and-post-cooking-for-the-helpers-and-post-outdoor-paint-scraping fog. This morning the new oak floor looks beautiful, the painting of the porch columns seems doable, AND I have a new version of Safari….it’s like Christmas!!

No comments: