Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Identity





We were shocked today to learn a friend is in septic shock in ICU in critical condition.  How quickly things can change, I thought.  He visited a couple of weeks ago – spent the night, went fishing the next morning, and shared a big brunch with us before heading home.  He spoke of impending retirement, of slowing down, of travel.  He intended to return to fish again last week, but was ill.  We had no idea something so serious was brewing.

Just a few minutes ago, I walked down to the pier as the sun hung low in the evening sky.  A wiggly reflection of our boat, elevated on a covered lift, stared back at me from the surface of the water.


The hull was obviously not a replica of our boat, but a wavy, reflected image of it.  I thought of our friend fighting for his life, how radical malfunctions and interventions are distorting his reality, and yet his truest identity is secure high above.


No comments: