The lake's mood seemed refreshing this morning –
calm, sunny, and peaceful. My hubby left early to seek adventure on the golf
course, so I decided to be lazy for a while and sit at the piano bench to watch the orioles that have claimed residence in our yard. We supplied oranges
and jelly at just the right time, and as these striking birds passed through on their migratory route, two pairs decided to stay! This is our third year
such enticement has led to nesting, and soon their pouch-like nests will sway
from branches in our oak trees. It will be our ongoing job in the coming weeks
to keep the feeders full, to not let their food supply waver.
I was finally dressed and ready for the day around
10:30.
At 11:00 I was still watching the orioles return again and
again to the feeders for an ongoing brunch.
Should I take a walk and then have something to eat, or should I eat and
then walk? Such are the not-so-pressing
decisions of the retired!
And then those hungry orioles seemed to suggest a plan: I could
prepare myself a nice brunch, and join them! So I sautéed peppers and onions in
coconut oil…
…and poured eggs mixed with almond milk over them…
…and when those firmed up, I tossed in some goat feta.
Then I flipped the whole thing in half, and VOILA!
I served my omelet with avocado (I’m crazy about avocado,
especially when they’re just exactly-perfectly ripe like this one), tomato
(we’re able to get heritage tomatoes these days, and boy are they awesome in
the just-right-to-make-your-mouth-come-alive kind of way), and homemade raw/fermented
sauerkraut (a pro-biotic powerhouse with lovely caraway-tinted zing). Next I sprinkled everything with freshly
ground pepper - coarse and zippy-hot - and served my plate on the lakeside deck
picnic table with a spectacular backdrop view.
It was a good time to relax, to savor the moment (no more and no less) and thank God for it. A good time to
appreciate my good life complete with good oriole company, good food, and
good thoughts to carry with me through the rest of my day.

No comments:
Post a Comment