Dear
Mother,
You
passed from this life to the next twenty-seven years ago, and much “water has passed over
the dam” since then (an
expression you often used). If you could return to spend a
few minutes with me on this Mother’s Day I would be sure to make them count.
I
would sit face-to-face, knee-to-knee, and hold your arthritic fingers in mine. I would thank you for using those hands to
knit my sweaters and hats and gloves, to sew my school clothes on the green SewHandy
portable machine (vintage 1931) that vibrated the drop-leaf table on the porch
while singing its own melodic hum.
I
would thank you for picking blueberries with me in the swampy bog on the lake’s west shore. I
would applaud you for driving me to the library every week in the summer to
borrow books that expanded my world and caused me to fall in love with the
written word.
I
would validate you. I would tell you I understand how you were caught off-guard
by the timing of a third pregnancy that ushered me into your life, and yet you offered
me - the unexpected
child - whatever was within you to give. Any perceived lack or gap in our
relationship existed because of your own unhealed wounds rather than intentional deprivation.
I
would tell you I love you, and would hope to hear the words echo. We were not
a verbally affirming family, so that would be the fist time for both of us. I would
watch your eyes to see if you believed me. If they remained empty, I would repeat myself again and again, slowly. I love you. I
love you. I love you. Perhaps then I would see a glimmer. I would
thank you for acting out of love for me, for sacrificing for me.
I
would explain how I look back on your awful depression differently now,
especially the deepest pits (we both know there were many). From this vantage point I can see beyond so
many cluttered memories. I realize how
the inner weight crushed and crumbled your middle-aged heart and seared my young
one, leaving dark scars within us both that could be healed only by Almighty
Love. I would tell you I sought distance
from your suffering (rather than you), and shielded myself emotionally
out of desperate self-protection rather than disdain.
I
would ask for your forgiveness, and confess my lack of knowledge and
understanding. I would apologize for
being insensitive and self-centered, for ignoring your needs and desires.
I
would also forgive you for abandoning me emotionally. I would pour out grace
and mercy like a flood to cover every relational crack and void, filling and binding
the divinely fashioned joints between us until they
promised to hold forever.
I
would celebrate you - extol your unique and creative beauty of soul, inquisitive
mind, strong physical body, and dutiful character. I would tell you how hard it was to watch
dementia beat your mind to a pulp as the ultimate robber of your final days.
Then
I would hold your hands tighter and look more deeply into your eyes – if only we could
both bear to do so, for it would be the very first time for such a profound
encounter. I would weep silent tears of understanding and reconciliation and
gratitude and mercy and love that are beyond words, for these are the relational
connections handed down from our Father by His grace. They are His bonds that we share as mother
and daughter.
Then
I would dismiss you to return to the kingdom beyond, with a vision to join you
when the time is right. And I would be thankfully mended deep down, healed of
the gaping void of things left unsaid.
Happy
Mother’s Day, Mother.
With
love,
Beth
P.S.
I recently had your SewHandy machine serviced, and plan to use it to teach your
great-granddaughters how to sew.

No comments:
Post a Comment