Daybreak cracked the shell on the day, dripping dawn through
the slits in the blinds, waking the room’s contours: door, oval mirror, bedside
table where my silver hearing aid charger stared back with tiny yellow eyes
that said yes, they’re charged and ready for you. Yawning, I reluctantly threw
back the covers, stumbled into the kitchen, and swallowed my morning pills.
The trash man hadn’t come yet. Three old throw rugs I’d forgotten to take out sat rolled by
the door. I threw a coat over my
green striped pj shorts and shirt, slipped on my oldest Birk clogs, and waddled
across the yard with the rugs under one arm, tip-toeing through wet mud. Rain had fallen all night. The sharp wind cut my bare legs. I felt
silly, and hoped the neighbors weren’t watching.
After depositing the rugs in our brown trash receptacle, I
turned into the wind, pulled the coat collar tight around my neck, and hurried
back toward the house, passing the pontoon boat - a whale-like Gray Hulk
beached on our new trailer.
Something was wrong. One of the support poles had fallen down inside, allowing rain to accumulate in the cover's low spots and drag it down. This was not good.
Inside, two engorged double-D-sized breasts full of water
hung before me, flaunting their great size, pulling tensely on the rest of the
cover. I poked one with the
support pole, deflating it - sawaaaash - and then the other –
sawaaaash-ssh-sssssh - and propped the pole back in place. My job was done.
But wait.
Enchantment. The
wind sang a breathy, hoarse song outside. I sprawled in the dimly-lit cave, an adult child in a charmed tent aglow with soft dawn-light leaking through the
fabric cover. Isolation got busy -
scrubbed me clean, removed blinders, inspired imagination. Magic! Like a quiet fetus, I lay inside this separated womb of space
- this whale - that belonged to all that wild, thrashing life going on out
there.
After a few minutes, at just the right moment, I knew I must
go. I pushed my feet through the
slit opening between the pontoon and the strapped cover – sort of like probing
a shoelace through an eyelet – and felt for the ladder. It hadn’t tipped over. Good. I crawled out, emerging from the awe and uncomplicated
wonder changed and better prepared to embrace the rest of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment