After our church service this morning, small groups of adults chatted in the narthex as our oblivious granddaughters happily
munched cookies in their own little worlds underfoot. I was watching the girls, thinking how adorably lost in sugar reverie
and cookie-happy they looked, when their mama said to me, “We need to stop at
the grocery on the way home - (pause) - we’re
out of kale already.”
Maybe it was her signature look – the cute of-course-we-must-have-KALE look – amidst
the girls’ cookie crumbs falling like snow, or the context of church when you
usually don’t expect to talk about leafy green vegetables, but I cracked up. When does anyone EVER run out of, ahem, KALE – as if it
might fall in the same class as milk or bread or, goodness knows, coffee?
This younger daughter and our older son (the two families
are currently living under the same roof) have recently been easing into an
extended detoxifying juice fast/feast by juicing through the day and eating one
solid meal in the evening. Last
night that meal included surprisingly yummy gluten-free, refined-sugar-free
berry pie in honor of their brother’s early birthday celebration – an atypical
treat to celebrate the departure from solid food!
But as of today they’re into the real deal, which means
mega-quantities of juice but no solid food, for the next week. “I’m sure I’ll be spending several
hours a day either prepping and juicing veggies, or cleaning the juicer,” she
continued with that same impish-look, as if of
course this is what we always talk about during coffee hour at church.
Meanwhile,
the dreamy-eyed girls chomped on their crispy rounds of refined white flour, sugar, and hydrogenated fat: dead non-food on the other end of the spectrum from nutrient-rich,
living food: fresh JUICE. It was
just, well, a funny thing for cookies to punctuate conversation about kale
juice. Sort of like combining egg
nog and sushi (shudder). Or beer
and donuts.
On the way home, I thought how it’s an interesting time and
place to be alive in regard to food.
Instead of gratefully consuming whatever basics might be available - the
case with our ancestors and various people worldwide today - many in this
country can choose to eat almost anything: sumptuous salads from endless salad
bars; exotic ethnic cuisine; candy, chips, crackers, and snack cakes; bean sprouts and tofu; all-you-can-eat pizza buffets;
organic produce, dairy, and meat; desserts like tira misu and fried ice
cream….OR, would you believe, the extracted juices of carrots and kale.
1 comment:
I KNOW! I KNOW! Our niece is on a raw food regimen. She brought raw pumpkin pie to our Thanksgiving meal. It WAS delicious! Crust = dates & pecans; pumpkin meat, persimmon, and tons more dates & spices in the middle. Everything pureed in a Veggie-Mixer (I think she said), and placed in freezer to hold it all together.
Post a Comment