My mother, an avid knitter, set me up with needles and
patterns when I was newly married – everything I needed to realize my knitting
legacy. She even knit me a small
accessory bag, sampler of unique stitch patterns worked in brown yarn, to hold tools like crochet hooks, needle size charts, and stitch
holders. Then she lined it with matching brown fabric, and sewed a zipper closure across the top. I took it for granted.
I wasn't a knitting guru like my mother, and rarely used my needles and accessories. Over time, the little
bag’s yarn frayed by virtue of age rather than use. Tonight, after finishing a knitted Christmas stocking, I took a final
picture to preserve the memory of my mother’s creativity, and then threw the bag in the
trash.
Funny how something so small can seem like a treasure when
it is time for it to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment