Yesterday, after finding a certain product to be unavailable at the
drug store (Walgreen’s), I looked
for it in the personal product area of a Meijer store. I ended up talking with a conversational pharmacist who put a different spin on my search.
He: (A trim gentleman
probably in his late 30’s comes out from the pharmacy to the aisle to help me
after my quick description through the window.) What is the name of the product
again?
Me: NewGel+E. It is an anti-scarring silicone product
for people who form keloid or hypertrophic scars. It was highly recommended by a
physician who deals with this kind of thing. (I casually sling around the buzz
words as if of course I talk medical jargon every day, feeling competent to
engage in further conversation with this professional man in his crisp,
clinical white coat.)
He: Ummmmmm, let’s
see. Over here. We have this brand that retards
scarring, and that brand, but nothing with silicone. (I can tell he WANTS to find my product, but knows it is
doubtful. He rubs his chin between
his thumb and forefinger and hums in a low voice as if to suddenly charm
NewGel+E onto his shelf, right there in that spot between this brand and that.)
Now this brand, it is the most popular – and that brand, it would work just as
well but costs a little more. But
I’ve never heard of NewGel+E. (He looks at me apologetically, and yet I sense
from his body language that the conversation isn’t over yet.)
Me: That’s fine – thanks for your
help! I think I’ll keep looking. I know I can order it online, but was
trying to avoid paying the postage.
He: The internet will
probably be your best bet. (He maintains his stance and points with one finger.)
OR, I can tell you how to get that product in here!
Me: HOW?
He: (He seems
genuinely delighted that I’m willing to hear him out, and plants his feet wide
apart as if physically positioning for an oration.) Have it promoted on Dr. Oz
or Oprah. We always have a flood of demands for any health item that makes it
onto those shows. See this? (He points to a jar of some sort of
skincare product.) We didn’t carry
this item, but then had so many requests in a single day after it showed on
Oprah that we decided we had to!
So just air your product on those TV studios and I promise we’ll have it
here the same week. No matter what
it is. Or what it does. Or doesn’t
do. (He chuckles with just a hint
of cynicism and rocks his feet back and forth from heel to toe.)
Me: REALLY?? (I pause briefly before launching my response.)
That’s such a commentary on our culture - high visibility promotion with
celebrities is more important than quality!! (I shake my head, as if of course
I already knew this.) The produce lady
told me about ordering exotic food in response to the Food Network shows, but
in the health area it's hard to know public demand based on a TV show determines availability!
He: (He turns to go
but keeps talking over one shoulder.) All I can say is this. Your product could be the best one
available, but the general consumer will never know, nor will those in his/her
local pharmacy, until the celebrity media says so. So good luck!
Maybe someday I’ll have it for you …. if Oprah or Dr. Oz give me the
green light! (He winks, with a thumbs-up, and disappears behind the pharmacy
door.)
Today I’m placing my order online. Paying postage. Wondering what it takes to appear on Oprah or Dr. Oz, and
whose purse starts it all and ends up raking in the profits.
No comments:
Post a Comment