Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mysterious Black Stuff




A couple of days ago, Chip-the-Munk (a feisty chipmunk) zipped into the house when the door was left ajar.  After an hour of hiding in relative safety of the laundry room, Chip scampered out to face my husband, challenging him face-to-face.  It was a stand-off.  Then he darted, and my hubby darted, and he darted the other way, and they both zig-zagged toward the open sliding door (can you just picture this??) where  Chip obliged by whizzing outside, lickety-split.

Today while cleaning under a plant stand in an obscure corner behind the piano, I notice several tablespoons of black pellet-like blobs in a pile.  What ARE those things?  Are they bugs?  Worms?  Will they move? Do we have an infestation in the house?!  I dare to touch one; it is hard as a rock.  Then I bend down closer.  AH!  Sunflower seeds?!  HOW did sunflower seeds end up HERE?

But then I remember Chip!  Evidently he ran into the house with a mouthful of seeds (gathered from underneath our outside birdfeeder), and in the frenzied panic of the moment, and/or to unload baggage and enhance his mobility, he dumped his load of mysterious black stuff right there in the dark corner. 

I’m sure he’ll not be back for it.

No comments: