Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cyber-Monkeys




I have no idea why the first paragraph of yesterday’s blog showed up in teeny font.  It was a shock to see it shrunken and undersized, as if cowering from traumatic slashing with a red editing pen.  Tsk tsk.  Just so you know, it wasn’t MY doing.

Nor do I know why some web sites defiantly refuse to load while others jump onto the screen without hesitation, like eager, well-trained puppies.  One site I frequent regularly will not load 9 times out of 10, and then POOF, on the 10th try everything is hunky-dory and it shows up as per NORMAL, reminding me of a child who smiles with winsome sweetness after stealthily stealing cookies from the jar all morning.  Brother.

It’s a mystery why all of my Word documents were scrambled recently.  Yikes.  I couldn’t find a thing, and some seemed to be missing.  Then they came back from whatever vacation they’d taken, rearranged themselves, and just stared at me like what’s-your-problem, nothing happened. Nothing at all.

According to our techno-son who is in the techno-know about such techno-things, our server is most likely causing some of these problems, and yet not all can be linked.  So far no blame has been placed on my geriatric, second-time-around-hand-me-down computer, which is, of course, respectful.  Poor dear.  Surely old age strikes computers, too, and some of this is just a case of techno-arthritis?

Although we all joke about those mischievous cyber-monkeys that tangle connections in cyber-space, sometimes I wonder if they’re more real than we think.  I picture them having Curious George minds trained to be like Koko, the famous educated gorilla that learned to speak, use the computer, and take pictures.  That sounds pretty close to cyber-monkey activity to me.

No comments: