Creation happens when something is absolutely new (not preexisting). The word we’ve translated as “create”
in Genesis is also used 48 times in the Old Testament, and always in this
sense.
In Psalm 51, David says, “Create in me a clean heart, O
God.” He doesn’t say, “Mend my heart.” Rather, “Create (make) a clean heart in
me.”
David knew this could be done by God alone – not that a new
physical heart muscle might be made, but rather that his inner spiritual heart,
with its affections and lusts, its feelings and motives, might be made “new” - right
and pure. He realized this could
happen only by God’s power since the spiritual heart beats by divine agency and
cannot be manipulated by sheer human will.
I’ve been thinking today about my mother’s darning egg and
huge curved (sinister-looking!) darning needles that she used to repair
socks. We so often approach
“fixing” the problematic holes in our lives, both within and without ourselves,
in a similar manner. Weave a new
patch. Remediate those
circumstances. Repair those
physical/emotional/spiritual holes.
At the same time, I’ve been thinking about the effect of God’s
ongoing creation in me. I may not
always be aware of the effects of quickening until I look back and see the
changes He has wrought over time, but He is constantly at work. Not just patching holes, but making me
new.
No comments:
Post a Comment