Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Perspectives




After so much weekend activity, today I’m literally at a standstill - reclining in bed because of a bullfrog-croaking-voice, dull headache, stuffed-up sinuses, and lead appendages that refuse to carry me beyond the blankets.  Although it’s never fun to be sick, I do relish my solitary companions: a heavenly, water-laden wind blowing off the lake and my trusty laptop. 

An antique oval mirror stands on the opposite wall in exactly the right place to capture my pillow-propped reflection.  A greenish-blue, bullfrog-ish pajama-shirt stares back, topped by a strangely alien face that looks much older, more drawn, more sunken-eyed than another similar-but-younger one I remember quite clearly.  And those froggy-looking neck wrinkles?  Goodness, they seem to compound by the minute, hanging like folds of a heavy theater curtain that keep sagging, sagging with their own weight. 

Was I really this same age yesterday, when enveloped by a crowd of vigorous children and strong-to-the-bone younger adults? Yes…I recognized the discrepancies, the disparity in levels of energy and tolerance.  I wonder how they saw me?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

No WONDER you've ended up in your froggy pajama top! (And wouldn't it be interesting to know how they perceive us???)

Re-enter life gently. (There's a sign as you leave the lane at the Hermitage outside Three Rivers that says something to this effect...Such a good reminder.)