For decades my key ring has carried a fat wad of keys that unlocked doors on assorted houses, sheds, or vehicles. A few unlocked suitcases. The collection varied over time as keys came and went, but usually included current keys as well as long- unused ones I kept handy, just in case.
Today I decided it was time to purge my key ring. I think it was a symbolic act.
Two thick Ford keys belonged to an old van parked semi-permanently for the last year at our son’s property as the construction workers’ trailer. They needed to go. I will never drive it again. Actually, probably no one will drive it again!
I also slipped off four other keys, two recognizable as car keys (but to what vehicle?) and two that look like they might belong to the house and milk house in Buck Creek (although I thought we turned those in at the time of the sale?). Anyway, I’m down from ten to four keys on my ring, which for the first time in years feels very light. That outside kangaroo pocket of my purse – the full-term-pregnant-looking-one - only bulges with a tiny tummy, now.
This purging is reminiscent of a larger prevailing attitude at my current stage of life. It seems important to unload the extras, to simplify and shrug off whatever is unnecessary while focusing on core priorities – but even then, to hold those precious things lightly. Life is mine only in the sense that it is on loan to me – given without my involvement, and taken away without my consent. With that said, it is crazy to spend my days accumulating (which also often involves hoarding/scheming/manipulating) things that won’t matter in the eternal long haul.
I’m learning less IS often more. Less also makes room for more of what matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment