Thursday, June 30, 2011

Time to Be




Sometimes days pass so quickly, as if with the blink of an eye. Hours fly and minutes evaporate.  Adventure! Excitement! Everything BUZZES.

Time can also take its time, with precise, graceful, careful passing to create a sense of connection and, dare I say, peace.

Earlier this evening I sat on the couch with a delicious southerly breeze blowing off the lake right into our living room. The oak leaves outside fluttered like luffing hunter-green sails, while a delicate ruby-throated hummingbird flitted between red and pink begonias on the deck.

I was consciously recuperating from yesterday, a day full of activity and auditory challenges.  A 13-year-old guest tried tubing behind the boat for the first time in her life, and quickly graduated to the kneeboard and then the wakeboard!  Hurry, hurry, hurry in order to try it ALL!!  Two squealing babies toddled around the deck while two 3-year-olds, a 7-year-old, and a 10-year-old added their own sideline commentaries.  The BUZZ!

More than 24-hours have passed, and it is almost bedtime.  I am grateful to be sitting on the couch again.  The night breeze is still blowing across the lake; my bare feet are propped on the old cherry chest we use as a coffee table; classical music plays in the background.  I don’t have any idea what time it is, but it doesn’t matter.  This is a timeless moment.  There will be enough time.  I can just BE.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I "be" frequently. Glad you could "be" for awhile Sounds like a perfect evening. (We've had some of those breezes lately, too. Just no lake to blow across.)