Sunday, June 5, 2011

On the Lookout....for Outlook!




This week’s contest topic at FaithWriters is “outlook.” 

When I concentrate really hard, sometimes I intentionally squint my eyes and go into fuzz-brain-mode….I’m told it’s pretty funny if you’re the one watching!  I used to do this with a serious face when decorating cakes in my bakery; it helped squeeze out the creative juices. I’m in that fuzzy-brained stage at the moment, considering  the topic – outlook – and what it means to have various outlooks or points of view.

Although I’m not an avid or regular fan of the Peanuts comic strip, some of the oh-so-stereotyped Peanuts crew jumped out of the fuzz just now.  Charlie Brown focuses on his own weaknesses until his thoughts become so narrow he can’t “get” the bigger picture.  Lucy assumes her outlook should be everyone’s outlook, and is self-limiting in the opposite way.  Woodstock flits around without consistently focusing (or connecting) at all, and settles for a drone of wah-wah-waaaahs that only mimic real communication – an outside-insider of the gang with his own unique self-absorption.

On a more serious note, he apostle Paul speaks clearly about point of view in his letter to the Philippians.  “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus,” he writes.  “All of us then, who are mature should take such a view of things.  And if on some point you think different, that too God will make clear to you.  Only let us live up to what we have already attained.”  (Philippians 3:14-16)

Outlook.  Such an interesting word.  Is my outlook an in-look, like those in the Peanuts gang??  How much introspection is necessary and desirable (or not) to have an effective outlook and impact?

I will be on the lookout (note the twist!) in the next few days for answers to these and other related questions about outlook.  Then I will be surprised, as usual, when an entry shows up (where do they come from, really?).  This week marks my 6th year at FaithWriters, and I haven’t missed submitting a weekly entry yet – not even once.  That, in itself, requires a certain outlook – I’m either committed or addicted!

No comments: