Friday, June 3, 2011

Change




Change can be a refreshing and energizing agent of momentum that swings us toward something new, expanding us from stale predictability to a place of fresh adventure and sometimes (if we cooperate) holistic healing. However, in reality some changes sidle alongside like timid little gnomes to nudge us here or there, while others are downright radical and fist-clenching-ly persistent.

Right now I’m looking at lifestyle changes that might address causes of serious health issues.  It’s sort of a big deal. This involves researching (searching and re-searching) the bottom line, and the not-so-small changes that could affect that foundational bottom line.  Sometimes I find leads.  Sometimes I find dead-ends, or what appear to be black holes. In it all, I have a choice – to run away (effectively resist the change) or forge ahead.

This kind of change is intentional rather than accidental.  It involves kicking out gnarly, sultry, mean-spirited and stubborn old tobacco-chewing habits and opinions (please, please, think figuratively here!!) that have taken a lifetime to form. You know, those behaviors that have been practiced for so long they’ve matured into self-governmental legislative agencies called attitudes. It means starting over, wiping the slate clean, and dancing with fresh toddler steps with a new mind-set toward a new goal. 

It’s important to purge those surly old habits before fresh new intentions, motives, and habits can emerge – and that can be hard work. (Purge and emerge – nice!)  If token commitment/appeasement is the goal, rather than heart-and-soul-and-body CHANGE, the practiced mind-set will just take over and continue to run on automatic pilot.

I’m talking about transformation, here. 

In the end analysis, discovery can be exciting, challenging, encouraging, and life-altering as the catalyst for renewal - but also downright scary.  Intimidating as well as alluring. Can I?  Will I? Of course….I must! But how?

In God I trust, one wobbly baby step at a time. 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You CAN do it. You WILL do it, if you must...