Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Green Slime




It’s official.  The lake has been invaded….by GREEN SLIME!

I invite you to try a little imaginary exercise.  Picture the Little Mermaid’s long, silky hair.  Got it?  Know the way it flows in the water, sort of like cascading strands of silk? Now color it fluorescent avocado green.  Multiply it, and spread a blanket of it on the bottom of the lake.  Plop tangled clumps of it in patches on top of the lake.  Now stir isolated strands until they slink here and there throughout the lake, like indecisive vagrants that float here and there, unable to decide their final destination.    

It’s a little scary to see such rampant algae-like grown, not to mention the fact that it makes the lake less user-friendly.   When and how will it end, or WILL it end?

In my own mind, I feel fairly certain this problem has been imposed by human intervention – lawn fertilizers or….?  Our neighbor who has lived here for over 50 years has never seen anything like it.  As the days grow warmer, and the water temperature rises, the invading mermaid hair grows more and more vigorously - as if there’s been a massive spill of hair-growing formula in the lake.  (Surely some chemical is at fault?) I wonder about the effect on the fish and waterfowl?

There’s nothing we can do, at least right now, so I’m trying to make peace with the slime - the gooey, thick, slick, swamp-green slime.  Yuck. 




No comments: