Monday, May 9, 2011

Feeling Maternal




Mother’s Day ushered in a flood of introspection yesterday. The effects lingered today, and I expect may continue.

I’ve been thinking how, amidst plateaus of status quo, life offers sheer drop-offs and steep cliffs.  Sometimes these extreme verticals are down-steps, as in the momentary loss of optimism, or perhaps physical health or mental acuity.  I call these challenges.  Alternately, sometimes they are up-steps, as in the acquisition of understanding, insight, or faith that simply wasn’t there before.  I call these breakthroughs.

The older I get, the more obvious and frequent these defining verticals - challenges and breakthroughs - become.  I also am grateful for the opportunity to vicariously participate in the ongoing generational march of children and grandchildren as they navigate their unique mountains and valleys.  Motherhood and grand-motherhood literally contour my personal lifescape with broadening, deepening, and ultimately strengthening dimensions.  I am molded and renewed as I stand in this aging maternal position, even as I hope to continue to invest myself in my family. 

No comments: