Sunday, May 1, 2011

Empathy




Because of recent events and emerging circumstances/experiences/conversations, I have been poring over a certain character trait for the last couple of days: empathy.

I wonder why some people struggle to be empathetic at all, and others do it so very well, almost like an intuitive second language?  I also ponder my own inconsistencies in this area – why can I come alongside another who is hurting very easily at times, and yet at other times resist?

As a tangible expression of mercy and compassion, I believe empathy is sometimes the most an individual can offer another human being journeying through a difficult season of life.  And yet a person can’t be merciful unless he or she understands the source of humanity’s common denominator: pain. 

It has become obvious to me that the opposite of love is not hate, but rather fear  -  most likely fear of physical, emotional, or psychological pain.  And, the very wide spectrum of human emotions emanate from these two foundational realities: love and fear.

Those who have experienced genuine sacrificial love – openly received and shared it  – are not as hesitant to confront fear.  They know love’s power to bring down walls, heal wounds, and recreate hope so as not to ignore or perpetuate the fear, but rather transform it.

Others who think themselves above fear, or else squelch it in the name of control or some other kind of self-sufficiency, can’t understand or empathize with fear in others.  They can’t see love is the antidote.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think you have a strong foundation for your ponderings - I John 4:18!

How I, too, need the "love of God shed or is it (spread?) abroad in MY heart" to extend the mercy and grace to others that God has lavished on me!

Great thoughts, here. Let's keep on thinking (and loving...and empathizing...)!