Tomorrow our niece is being honored at a baby shower honoring her first child, a baby girl who is anticipated to arrive in mid-July. I went together with my girls to purchase several fun gifts to give jointly (as one branch of Mulie contingency), but then at the last minute I was inspired to also knit a pair of funky, cool-baby Designer Bootees to match the wrapping paper! Get a load of these cutie-boots-for baby….a little saucy, I thought, compared to the Plain Jane delicate-baby-pink bootees of my child-bearing era, but absolutely perfect for this occasion.
As I was knitting, almost-three-year-old Josie showed great interest in the project and asked plenty of questions including, “How do you use TWO needles?” She managed to sit quietly for some time and twist her own yarn around a single needle to design her own creations - notably a tangled mass that became a “necklace.” However, despite her various questions she never asked about my binder with its page of typed instructions, although it lay open the entire time I was knitting and I obviously referred to it regularly. Several hours later, long after the knitting had been put away, Josie got busy with a small notebook and pen, and studiously wrote a page full of scribbles. “What is that?” her mom asked. “Can you tell us?”
“This is Nana’s knitting ‘struk-shuns,” she said.
1 comment:
I ♥ the "struk-shuns"!
Those Designer Booties are precious, Beth! I know they'll bring much pleasure to the new mother :)
So how long does it take to knit such a beautiful pair?
Post a Comment