When you live out in the middle of the boonies like we do, errands can require a lot of running around! That’s okay though. The countryside is beautiful in a stepping-back-in-time sort of way, and as long as I’m not hurried I enjoy driving through the hilly terrain.
First I visited our nearby village. There’s not a single stoplight in this town, so that tells you how small it is. I mailed a package at our teeny-tiny Post Office (no lines here), gassed-up the car (for a small fortune), and stopped to buy paper plates and kleenex at what we affectionately call “the mall” (actually Dollar General).
Then I drove the OTHER direction waaaay out in the deeper boonies to shop at a local country outpost – a small privately-owned store offering the best Amish rolled butter, fresh eggs, and amazingly-awesome-blue-cheese on the face of the planet. Not to mention great service, friendly advice, and a sense of “coming home.” The brick house and big barn that flank the store building, although unique in their own right, remind me of the farmhouse and barn we owned for so many years. The atmosphere of the whole property – well – it’s just about as down-to-earth as you can get.
Here's a distance shot: house, store building, small barn and big barn.
Cheese, anyone? While the blue is my favorite, all of them are good - and the prices can't be beat!
Dry beans, rice, popcorn - and various bouillons and salad dressings.
Jams and jellies, including strawberry-rhubarb and pumpkin butter!
1 comment:
Thinking I know where you live, I'm extra curious about where this Amish store is!
I really like blue (or bleu) cheese, too! I'll have to check out a few of the Amish sources around here. It never "dawned" on me to do so!
Post a Comment