Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Writing




I find it more and more necessary to make time to write.  Usually this involves composing short 750-word essays in response to weekly contest topics – my ongoing therapy.

I’m often fascinated by the end results of my efforts, and have no idea such thoughts and stories (sometimes fictional) lurk somewhere within me, just waiting for a way out.  Often after identifying and defining a main character, he or she tells me the story – one seemingly beyond the scope of my own imagination. 

Sometimes my job is to be willing to dig way down in the cellar to find out what’s there, and then bring it up to the light.   Other times I reorganize and restate the obvious, but in a way that encourages the reader to consider a unique focus.   And occasionally the whole point is inspiration – being a conduit.  Those times are my favorites.

 “I must write it all out, at any cost.  Writing is thinking.  It is more than living, for it is being conscious of living.”  - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments: