Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ants and Antagonism




I.

It was only one teeny weeny little ant.  But she was terrified.  Immobilized. 

“There’s nothing to be afraid of,” I suggested, trying to encourage her.  “That little ant is powerless – it isn’t able to hurt you!”

“But I don’t want it to crawl on me,” she said, whimpering visibly shuddering.

“Well, if an ant gets on your arm, just brush it off – like this.”  I demonstrated with a small piece of dry grass.  “See? It won’t hurt you any more than this piece of grass.”

“But Gramma, I don’t LIKE ants!”

I paused and then gave the best advice I could muster.  “I guess you’ll just have to go on being unhappy until you decide to change the way you think about ants.  There’s no reason for a little ant to control you.”

II.

It was only a single antagonism.  One issue in a much larger spectrum of life.  But it was attempting to hold me emotionally captive.

“There’s nothing to worry about,” the wise friend said. “It can’t undo you when seen in the appropriate context.”

“But I don't want it to be so personal,” I replied, pouting.  “It’s creepy.”

“Well, your only option is to let go – like this.”  He reached his arms toward heaven as if to fling the antagonism beyond the physical realm into the heavenly one.   “Keep your perspectives right.  The situation is beyond you.  It is not yours to manipulate.”

“But…BUT…I don’t LIKE antagonism!”

He paused and then cut to the chase.  “We are called to be humble and contrite, and submit to our almighty, sovereign God.  There’s no reason for this situation to control you. I guess you’ll just have to go on worrying until you decide to trust Him.”


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great analogy, Beth. (There DO seem to be plenty of ants to go around.)

Vicki said...

Goodness! I went to sleep last night with so much unhappiness on my mind/heart. I woke myself up when I slapped at "things" crawling all over me. No there wasn't anything there. I was swatting at the "ants" in my mind and on my heart. It hurt to go on slapping myself , so I have no other choice but to let go and give the control to God. I suspect that He actually likes ants.