My husband’s various doctor offices have become our
homes-away-from-home these days.
But today is my day to see a doctor. Oh boy.
I’ve had “white coat syndrome” since I was little, when the
husky-looking pediatrician on Superior Street made house calls and always brought
super-sharp, long needles. You
could count on those needles, every time.
After my child body had been stuck clear through, he tried to make it
okay with a floppy candy sucker – one of those with the paper loop handle –
which I thought a poor attempt at reconciliation.
Anyway, over the years I’ve had many experiences that have
taught me to respect medical professionals, but also question what they do and
why. In it all, I’ve learned to maintain ultimate
responsibility for my health.
In some respects, I still have “white coat syndrome.” Today my heart will sprint a little faster when they listen, and my blood pressure will elevate. It’s part of being adrenalized, ready to participate in the games.
In some respects, I still have “white coat syndrome.” Today my heart will sprint a little faster when they listen, and my blood pressure will elevate. It’s part of being adrenalized, ready to participate in the games.
I’ll drive an hour-and-a-half for the privilege of sound
medical advice that isn’t necessarily conventional, some potentially dicey
decision-making, and a bill not covered by insurance. This is the way it is when you swim upstream to a medical
tributary offering options not typical to the mainstream. Is it worth it? YES.
No comments:
Post a Comment