When I answered the phone this afternoon, the feminine voice on the other end was one I hadn’t heard in a decade. She sounded the same.
She wasn’t the same.
I found her different, perhaps deeper. She was attending school to receive
training for a new career that would prepare her to work with dementia patients
and their caregivers.
The years had filed and sanded her, smoothed the treads on
her tires. She told me of chronic
migraines and an uncertain future with a separated husband. I heard the sorrow, the loneliness in
her voice. I also heard the
resolve, the strength of will to prevail and make a difference.
After the conversation, I reread yesterday's email from another
friend of about the same age (both women being 20 years younger than me) whose anecdote
for debilitating blindness is aggressive, pro-active involvement. “I
know that the things that feed my soul are things I become invested in,” she
told me. “I force myself to keep
up the things I know can yield joy, just in case. That creates a momentum of
sorts.”
Pain levels the ground as life’s common
denominator. And yet it has the
potential to hone and sharpen us, to become the whetstone shaping unique
growth and transformation out of common humanity.
“The
person who truly wishes to be healed is he who does not refuse treatment. This
treatment consists of the pain and distress brought on by various misfortunes.
He who refuses them does not realize what they accomplish in this world or what
he will gain from them when he departs this life.”
~ St. Maximus the Confessor (580-662)
No comments:
Post a Comment