Something has gone very wrong with my hearing.
This is 40-year-old news, but also the current headline
since I met with the audiologist today. I have profound hearing loss of all
high tones (that’s the worst level of loss, meaning no ability to hear
whatsoever), and moderate-to-severe loss of everything else. Auditory black holes have sucked up
those high tones; they are now gone. Padded
earmuffs distort the other sounds until they resemble Charlie Brown’s mother: “Wa-wa,
wa-waaaa-wa-wa, wa-wa.” My
ability to hear spoken conversation is very poor.
Today the audiologist understood how intensely I strain in
conversation; how I hide behind smiles, nods, and expletives; how I often fake
it. Most people don’t understand
the potential for isolation, loneliness, and a sort of desperation to be human,
to communicate. But he did. He got it.
He understood how it’s easy for me to slip into either of
two images: 1.) inanimate, present but in a rock-like sense, 2.) bigger-than-life,
relying on laughter and over-accentuated gestures and body language to bring
life to the emptiness. He brought
up Helen Keller’s quote, one I embraced years ago: “Blindness separates us from
things, deafness separates us from people.”
On the flip side, he also understood how I struggle to
manage my current levels of tinnitus - loud referee whistles going off in my
head that press me like inner vise grips.
He understood how so much is going on inside my skull, a raucous cacophony of noise
that insists on taking the upper hand. How my brain recognizes this as a
trigger for constant fight-or-flight responses. How I can feel torn apart and chewed up by it. How saying, “Learn to live with it,”
isn’t enough. How stress is
everyday.
I appreciated his coming-alongside, his awareness. We talked
about technological advances. He checked
my current hearing aids and introduced me to others with newer techno-features selling for the low-low price of $6,000, without insurance coverage. They could definitely help
me. This was encouraging news, if also expensive.
But there’s more: another story behind this one.
Fortunately it is not imperative to hear well to be a whole, vibrant person. Although I experience the world in sensory bits and pieces as we all do,
and want to stitch them together to catch a glimpse of more weighty spiritual
realities, there’s something profound about confronting an acutely
life-changing void such as deafness.
Over time I’ve come to believe divine mysteries reside in
earthly shadows. While the rigors
of hearing loss are challenging, and I am extremely grateful for hearing aids, ultimately
the bigger victory resides elsewhere.
It comes down to embracing rather than resisting the disappearance of a
bodily function, and expecting it to be redeemed (curiously but surely) by the
One who makes no mistakes. Then the lost is found; completeness manifests in
qualities like humility, diligence, patience, hope, mercy, and compassion that yield satisfaction
and new purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment