It was a simple job, unpacking storage boxes posted with labels that said “BEDDING.” Rote. Perfunctory.
I couldn't remember exactly what these boxes contained – they’d
been stored for four years - but ripped the wide packing tape and lifted out a couple
of disinteresting sets of bed sheets.
Beneath the slick sheets lay several rough, ugly-green but beautiful army blankets
made of wool - scratchy and patched and absolutely priceless.
When I was a child, these blankets belonged at our lake cottage,
and were my salvation when summer nights occasionally turned damp-cold. I’d pick one and head down the hill into
the deep night - edges held high so as not to drag on the dewy grass - toward
the pier to stargaze. There I
wrapped myself burrito-style in the blanket, and when I’d had my fill of
shooting stars and the Big Dipper, I carried it (which seemed very heavy to my
small arms) back up the hill to spread over my cot on the sleeping porch.
But that was a long time ago. In 1980 when I had a family of my own, I began using these old
woolen blankets during our farmer friend’s annual hayrides. Each year his tractor pulled a couple of
wagons filled with dusty straw and jovial riders beneath star-studded autumn
skies. Our kids looked forward
to Dick’s hayride every year, and still attend it all these years later with their
children whenever possible. It is
an event that continues to tie us to a simpler era when we flourished without technological
aids or conveniences. You know, the good old days.
Cumulative memories replayed this afternoon as I shook the
top blanket and a few bits of leftover straw slowly wafted to the floor. I could
easily envision the tractor chugging its husky mechanical song while coughing out
diesel fumes - its white spotlights blaring, red ones blinking. I recalled the delight and wonder in my
kids’ eyes, and how we excitedly passed around the traditional sack of Tootsie
Roll Pops. Bumpy, rough terrain jarred
our spines. Sometimes songs
erupted. Jostled babies fell asleep in their parents’ arms as wheat straws flew
through the air like soft missiles of playful war.
These aged army blankets saw it all.
Today I shook the blankets outside, snapping them hard until
no trace of straw remained. Now
refolded, they’re stacked on the top shelf of our spare bedroom closet. They’ll probably sit there patiently,
unused and holding precious memories, until some day in the future. Then, when another person is in charge of them, he or she may wonder if there's any reason for such tired
old relics to be kept.
No comments:
Post a Comment