A friend invited me to her house today to talk about current events,
bless her heart. Things like the
plans for seminars on healthy eating I’m leading at church in the fall, and the
Advent luncheon to be held early in December. My daughter’s move many hundreds
of miles away. You know. Things like that.
She is wise. Keep moving ahead on the church plans, she said.
Grieve hard on the loss of the kids.
Don’t stuff it. Write stories
about the granddaughters. It's your therapy, she said.
On the way home, I made a routine stop at the drug store to buy
printer ink and poster board - supplies needed to promote the church functions. Returning
to our minivan, I nonchalantly opened the side door and gasped out loud. There, still securely latched into its
usual place, stood the littlest granddaughter’s car seat, gaping empty like
some yawning hippopotamus mouth. Why
did I still have her seat? We used to play peek-a-boo with each other in the
rear view mirror. But now she's gone. To Texas.
Everything seemed to spin a little bit, although I didn’t dare look around to make sure. I just stood
there in the Walgreen parking lot for what felt like a very long time but was
probably 30 seconds, frozen in place with hot July sun pounding on my back, staring
at peanuts and raisins and dried milk spilled on the buckle,
I finally dared to pick up a child-sized orange comb lying on the
seat. A single long, white-blonde,
curly hair floated from it like a strand of silk. Her sister’s hair.
My friend’s voice replayed in my mind. Grieve hard, she'd said. I did. And I didn’t care if the vacant-faced guy with
no front teeth in the car next to me watched the alligator tears drip down my cheeks.
And write stories, she'd said. Here I am, doing just that.
1 comment:
Falling apart again! Your words are just so beautiful in everything you wright. I know your beautiful granddaughters miss you so much too.
Post a Comment