There’s been an unexpected addition to the family - one that arrived spontaneously, just like Dumbo who plopped from the stork's bill into Mrs. Jumbo's lap.
Recently our younger son spent the day – nothing
unusual, just a normal visit. That
evening he announced a surprise. “Mom,
here’s your new computer.”
My new WHAT?
Granted, my faithful old geriatric computer, the silvery Mac smeared with telltale grimy residue - food and otherwise - was falling apart.
Its off-the-chart mileage (hard use) was impressive, but the right lid's hinge had been cracked in a disabling way for a good two years. I hadn’t dared shut the wobbly, too-straight lid even once during that time for fear of pinching or severing some important connection. Besides that, its hard drive was evidently tired: always running out
of space. This had become an ongoing issue.
Computers don’t just fall from the sky like stork-delivered babies, so why had this laptop
literally dropped into my lap? The explanation followed.
“You use your computer all the time. It’s an important tool for you, especially
with your bad hearing. I’m not
using mine a lot right now so I decided to give it to you. I already loaded it with your
information – everything is the same as the old one, so you don’t have to worry
about any new learning curves.”
My mouth hung open.
I didn’t know what to say, but squawked a gravelly, emotional “thank you.” Then the practical reality hit me. “Surely I owe you something for this. How much?”
“No charge.”
I’m still processing the motivation behind this sacrificial
gift at a time when he can’t afford to buy himself a new computer, but plans to
“fix up” my old crappy (excuse me) one and make do.
It feels like love.
No comments:
Post a Comment