My mother’s antique blue china, now in my possession,
reminds me of feasts around our large mahogany dining room table when I was a
child. In those days my parents’
friends (called The Gang) ate dinner many times on those mis-matched blue plates
that had been inherited from Mother’s family.
The members of The Gang had children who were the age of my
two sisters - at least a decade older than me. So when they visited our house (which
was often since The Gang got together for each person’s birthday, holidays like
Christmas and New Years, and after every high school basketball home game), I
was the only kid in a room full of adults. In the absence of real uncles and cousins, The Gang became
my surrogate extended family.
These were special people to me; they treated me kindly and taught me a
lot about what it meant to be a grown-up.
I also learned to love the blue plates by virtue of association with
them.
There were four couples in The Gang besides my parents. I
can picture Ross Tudor in my mind’s eye, the first in the group to pass away,
and his wife, Ruth, who had sections of her nose cut away as cancer progressed.
Then there was Bob Arnett, the
comical jolly fellow who kept the referee whistle in his pocket and sniffed
hard (as if snuffing back a drippy nose) when trying not to laugh - the one who
held me upside-down by my ankles - and his predictably pleasant, attractive wife,
Lois. And Herb Young, the
small-of-stature man who had a voice that reminded me of a radio announcer, and
his tiny wife Betty, who liked creamed chipped beef on toast. The mysterious ones, from my
little-girl perspective, were Gene and Glea Smith, alias Smitty and Mrs. Smith,
who lived with an air of simple grandeur in a country cottage.
Whenever The Gang came to our house, Mother spread a lace
tablecloth on the dining room and placed her blue china, and crystal water
goblets, around the perimeter. Today when I set my small dining table for just
two dinner guests with these same blue plates, I imagined the faces of those in
The Gang, and remembered their kind attentions. I could picture Bob and my dad belting
out “Hail Purdue” with rich harmony in the middle of a meal to honor their alma
mater. I envisioned Ruth and my
mother, fragile blue teacups in hand, chatting about recipes. And I felt an old sense of belonging.
Today, with Mother’s china relics in hand, I stopped to
think how quickly time passes. How
lives touch each other for a season, and then part. How the plates remain to tell stories.
No comments:
Post a Comment