“Use it or lose it,” the old saying goes. Solve crossword puzzles, or lose the cognitive
ability necessary to work them.
Bend and stretch your body, or expect it to stiffen like a board. Use what you have, or be willing to give
it up.
I’d like to tell a story to illustrate this.
It was been past time for the bi-annual cleaning of the hot
tub. I’d threatened to pass the
tub-cleaning torch to some younger, more agile tub-cleaning fairy (who this
might be, I don’t know), but the realities of that happening were slim. So after dinner last night I
sweet-talked myself (“You can do it…do it or lose it”) and set out to the deck
with rags, a horrible citrus-smelling tub-cleaning solution, and determination.
This is a multi-stage project, an exercise in repeated body
bending (think wrestler-type positions without a human opponent) while perched
on tiptoes on the edges of the tub’s seats (balancing while squatting and
twisting upside-down), then rub-a-dub-scrubbing in this position. Throw in some
fingertip dexterity exercises (poking fingers into the openings of the jets)
while crouched and knotted like a double half-hitch and you’ve got the picture.
It is acrobatic, time-consuming work, and seemed especially
tedious since I was working in the evening with uninvited company: droves of mosquitoes. Yes. Frenzied.
Hungry. Skeeters.
After what seemed an eternity, the sun finally dropped below
the horizon and I eyed the empty, sparkling-clean tub through a buzzing cloud
of blood-sucking insects. Success!
I groaned (literally), climbed out (creakily), and stretched (painfully) into
an upright position. Then I ran (swiftly)
for shelter from the relentless Culicidae.
Done.
Today, while filling the tub with water and nursing a few
sore muscles (I demand a water massage as retribution), I reminded myself sweetly that
it is perfectly normal and usual, the standard thing, to have after-aches from contorting
my body into a pretzel for over an hour. This is what keeps me strong and able. But more important than justification or inspiration, I’m
feeling truly grateful for a body that still allows me to “use it” to perform
this task at my age.
Cleaning fairies?
Bah! Such an overrated luxury!
Although I’m not against keeping my antennae out just in case one
happens by.
No comments:
Post a Comment