After 10 months as a slacker, I’ve recently resumed serious
swimming drills in the lake. True,
I have an obvious excuse for some of those months (ice), but I should have been
back in training by the 4th of July. At least by the 4th, if not sooner.
The neighbors don’t know quite what to think of a 64-year old
who bodily braves the water amidst all those tickly weeds, and all for the pure
joy of aquatic exercise.
“I’ve never seen anyone just keep swimming laps back and
forth between piers like that,” one noted with a look of disbelief.
“Don’t you get tired?” another said with obvious pity.
“I couldn’t begin to swim like you do,” a third remarked,
and I thought it a compliment.
I don’t deserve the notoriety. It’s not so hard, I tell them, when you float like a
marshmallow. (No obvious symbolism
intended.) I evidently inherited this handy trait from my mother, who could
also float as if lying on a mattress at rest with toes, knees, hands, and head
protruding from the water. Swimming
isn’t so hard when you automatically stay on top. I call it the cork
factor.
And so every evening I trek down to the end of the pier in
my swimsuit as the sun is setting, don my goggles and earplugs, and dive in.
While swimming back and forth between neighboring piers, I pretend to be
Jacques Cousteau watching an underwater seascape through my goggles. Sometimes the bluegill and bass don’t seem
to notice or care when I approach, but treat me like one of their kind. Various vibrant green weeds sway with
underwater currents, part to let me pass, and offer a soothing choreography unappreciated
by above-water viewers.
This evening the sun set low in the sky on the westward leg
of my swimming course, and the moon rose on the eastward leg. I breathed heavily, in and out, in and
out as I swam, relaxed and at peace. My body sliced a path through silky,
July-warm water that closed behind me to cover any evidence of my passing, even
as I was held and uplifted by it.
Wonderful water, my second home.
No comments:
Post a Comment