Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Bakery Torch




This evening I sat on the couch, mesmerized by six candles flickering on the coffee table, and thought about the most recent owner of my old bakery – how she’s managing her first Christmas season.

I wondered if she also bends down behind the massive glass case – 6’ wide with 4 interior shelves - to lock eyes with children on the other side as they point out one special cookie: that one with the multi-colored sprinkles, or that biggest one in the back. 

If she works 16-hour days.  And sometimes all night.

If she has a favorite regular customer who bursts through the door with a jovial smile: “I’m the best taste tester in town!  And I work for FREE!”

It’s all behind me now, and she’s in the driver’s seat.  I gaze at soft candlelight with music in the background, as she carries the blazing bakery torch.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

"Torch and Candle" - sounds like the title of a memoir....