Today a writer-friend shared an example of the power held by
the little black marks we collectively call punctuation. With a few changes, the meaning of a
sentence was totally changed:
A woman, without her man, is nothing.
A woman: without her, man is nothing!
I had fun looking for similar examples, and am posting a few
favorites below:
Let’s eat grandma.
Let’s eat, grandma!
________
A clever dog knows its master.
A clever dog knows it’s master.
________
Call me fool if you will.
Call me, fool, if you will.
________
I saw a man eating lobster.
I saw a man-eating lobster.
________
I’m sorry. I
still love you.
I’m sorry I still love you!
________
The butler stood at the door and called the guests names.
The butler stood at the door and called the guest’s names.
________
That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it
is. (nonsense)
That that is, is.
That that is not, is not.
Is not that it? It is.
(actually makes sense!)
________
I also liked the following definition. Grammar:
the difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you’re shit.
1 comment:
Hahahaha! I loved this post. I'm such a stickler for good grammar and punctuation. It DOES still matter to me.
I got a new "smart phone" this week and, in trying out the voice texting, have sent some pretty awful messages! Messages without punctuation and with phonetic spelling that follows no rules. Atrocious. Embarrassing!
Post a Comment