While plodding my usual
two-mile lakeside circuit this afternoon, I passed a statue of St. Francis of Assisi
holding a shallow birdbath. A
young deer nudged Francis’ modest habit as part of the statuary, and tenderly looked
up at his face. This is how most
of us think of St. Francis: an animal lover.
I stopped, having walked by
this figure many times without paying attention to detail, and studied it. I’d read a book about St. Francis
several years ago, and knew there was a lot more to his story than birds and
squirrels.
Born into wealth in 1181, the
young Italian (actually Giovanni Francesco Bernardone) was overcome with
compassion for the unfortunate. He
turned from opulence to poverty and a simple life, bare feet, and rough
garments, believing nature to be the mirror of God. Wherever he went he preached to ordinary people, urging them
to repent and cherish the eucharist: Christ’s own body and blood. This was unusual for the time since he
was not ordained to the priesthood.
Followers grew, and he founded the Franciscan Order for men, the Order
of St. Clare for women, and the Order of St. Francis for men and women not
living monastic lives.
But there’s one other little
detail I find interesting. St.
Francis was the first to create a crèche or nativity scene – a living nativity
in a town where the Franciscan hermitage was too small to hold the congregation
for the Midnight Mass. So Francis
set up a manger in a rough cave near the center of town and filled it with hay. An ox and donkey stood nearby as he passionately
chanted the Gospel story.
A certain soldier had a
vision that night of St. Francis picking up a sleeping, very alive baby from
the manger, and embracing him in his arms. In the weeks that followed, the hay from that manger
miraculously healed gravely ill livestock.
Two years after his death,
Francis was pronounced a saint - one destined to become a venerated historical
figure. Some say no other single person in history has imitated the life and
work of Jesus as authentically as St. Francis.
I remembered all of this as
I inched closer to the statue, tiptoeing gingerly over muddy puddles and past a
lawn statue of the Blessed Mother Mary.
With an umbrella shielding me from the drizzle, I watched raindrops
dimple the water in Francis’ birdbath, and studied his reverent facial expression.
He seemed hardly adult, but
rather quiet, composed, and serene – characteristics reminiscent of sleeping children. I recognized the sculptor’s rendition
of inner tranquility, a quality of life reflected in Francis’ famous prayer:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal
life. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment