Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Touch




I met a new friend today, one probably close to my age and stage of life.  Even before I learned of her debilitating physical condition, her searching eyes - cautious but also eager, direct, and definitely not-lost-at-sea - invited me to join her in navigating rolling swells of heroism mixed with inevitable sadness.

Upon our introduction, she showed interest in a church activity and asked questions about participation, obviously desperate to LIVE - not necessarily in the sense of longevity, but depth.  Within a few minutes I sensed she was more ALIVE than some who have never been faced with such chronic illness.

At one point in the conversation, this weary but pro-active woman in pain gently placed her hand on my arm for emphasis while making a point – and then left it there.  Gentle but strong. It was more than a touch: a bird’s airy feather, dropped from flight, evidence of soaring come to rest.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written. Piercing the heart with a well-honed pen.