At dinner this evening I indulged in strawberries similar to those my Granny used to grow in her patch in northwest Indiana. These sun-ripened, red beauties came from a local farm just 15 minutes from us, and had been picked carefully by hand at exactly the optimal time, just like Granny’s! They were perfectly mature but not overripe - each one a lovely bit of crimson delight for both eye and palate.
I love the memories these strawberries evoked – memories of similar tantalizing berries piled high in Granny’s rectangular red-stained wooden boxes. I can still picture those boxes in my mind’s eye, icons of a hands-in-the-earth lifestyle that has almost disappeared.
1 comment:
I agree Beth. Great memores of picking berries at my grandparents. My great Aunt and Uncle had them also and they made jams and jellies. Hollis' Homemade Jams and Jellies. A little bit of a legend here in Van Buren county. I was moved by these memories enough to finally put in my own strawberry patch this year. Very small patch, very big excitment!
Post a Comment