It’s a beautiful, summery Saturday afternoon here at the lake. As Mama and Papa Mallard busily preen themselves on the pier, humidity hangs like a thick, earthborn blanket of fog. Whining boats haul squealing tubers around the lake. The ice cream truck tinkles its tunes on the road to lure patrons to buy overpriced, FUN-tastic frozen treats.
I spent the last hour heaving a hoe around, sweating like crazy, weeding my new, low-budget landscape project. Finally I stopped to take a break in the air conditioning, and so am currently reclining on the couch with my feet up on the old chest we use as a coffee table and a tall glass of icy mint sun-tea next to my right hand.
But all of the above is just a lengthy introduction. I’m here at the blog in this moment of R&R to bear witness to an unexpected diversion that seems more than incidental. Let me tell you…
I come inside from weeding, and for about five seconds I hug my worker-bee-hubby – ummmmmm-mum! – who has also been puttering outside with lawn projects. The shoulder of his cotton t-shirt smells like sunshine – the odor literally engulfs me – and I’m thrown back in time. It’s the old hang-the-laundry-on-the-clothesline kind of sunshine–smell I grew up with as a kid at the lake.
Everything rewinds in that moment until I literally feel like a sweaty little child in my dirty flip-flops and short-shorts. I close my eyes and imagine my mother driving us into town with two wicker baskets piled high with crumpled dirty laundry.
Then I’m walking into the steamy laundromat and punching a quarter per load in the machines - hauling our heavy baskets full of wet things back out to the car - driving home with the windows down - hanging the clean laundry outside on the clothesline with wooden pins - and finally burying my face in the baskets full of sunshine-scented clothes. Our bed sheets, towels, and clothes always smelled like the sun in those days. Divine!
It’s comforting somehow when things like this happen - when some seemingly small event links the current moment to some other time and place so they intersect in a mystical but very real way.
At the risk of sounding philosophical, I can’t help but wonder if overlapping experiences (ones that seem to touch some inner core) are actually a foretaste of heavenly reality? If so, they are more than just simple déjà vu – they suggest that earthly time and space are part of a bigger dimension where all of life finally connects and fits together: Paradise.
1 comment:
over the years I have wondered how and why a scent can breeze past my nose and bring up long forgotten memories. In an instant I am transported to another place and time. Some are places I didn't want to be at the first time, let alone a revisit. Other places are from a time I wish I could get back. Either way, the sense of smell has great power. I have come to the conclusion that this power is from God. He uses the power to shape and mold us here and now. I never connected smells to being in heaven, but why not? I am counting on only the good ,positive and pleasant smells will be there. My worship of Him should be a sweet smell to Him now, how much better the aroma when we are together in Heaven!! I don't think my mind could possibly connect all the dots that heaven surely holds!
Post a Comment