As of yesterday afternoon, Troy’s leg weakness (and incontinence issues) seemed to be improving somewhat, although in his dad’s words, he’s “still far from normal.” Diagnosis remains illusive. Two muscle tests have come back negative and another is still outstanding. I’m praising God this morning for the hopeful shift, although I’ve been reminded not to assume he’s over the hump yet.
As I’ve spent lots of time thinking about Troy’s debilitating problems these past few days, a broader application has come to mind.
It’s easy for my perspectives to get skewed as I journey through life’s rugged terrain with its glory-peaks and dark ravines, its marathon hikes and setbacks. I forget that when I’m barely limping along - perhaps even crawling (reminding me of Troy?) – my spirit, quickened by His love, also enables and inspires me to LEAP.
Physical endurance training, mind relaxation disciplines, academic endeavors, and other honorable pursuits foster “how to” philosophies that hint at fulfillment: quasi-nirvana. But they turn out to be facades - temporary braces - and the limp (limitation) continues. This reminds me of medical treatments that address symptoms rather than causes. In reality, we’ve been limping ever since Adam’s Great Leap away from God, and behavioral modifications can’t fix us.
Recovering from the limp is a matter of almost-paradoxical leaps of faith: leaps TO FAITH (meaning toward), but also WITH FAITH (meaning faith originates with God and is given to us by Him). Can you picture this? Leaping in the midst of weakness because God gives us faith that strengthens us to seek more faith? (Credits for the prepositions “to” and “with” in reference to faith go to Soren Kierkegaard, I think.) Do you see it the same way?
The life of faith - particularly as expressed during this recent trial with Troy, since it is foremost in my mind - translates into waiting and more waiting, believing, hoping, receiving mercy, accepting what is happening, expecting more grace, and intentionally releasing myself (my mind, will, emotions) to Him. Perhaps that’s what Troy’s undiagnosed problem is about for me; perhaps I’m being schooled in APPLIED FAITH. Maybe I’m being challenged to take giant leaps of faith: to leap with the faith and strength God has given me toward even greater faith as I respond to Him.
In my mind, it only makes sense that this inner leap of faith would be most possible when we’re literally defined by limping, and seemingly least able to leap at all. I pray that today Troy’s walking continues to improve, and that those of us on the sidelines uphold him with our individual and corporate leaps of faith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment