This evening I was messaging with someone very dear to me.
She typed quickly, referencing a recent disappointment. I
ached with her, felt the weight of longing. Then the blue bubble on the screen spelled out her classic response when challenges come: “I have to
remember that there is no promised land on earth…” Before I could respond she added, “I always get knowing head
nods from my friends when I say that.”
But she went on to explain another take. There was a time when
she said “there is no promised land on earth” to a particular person (another
one who is very dear to me), and he said, “Yeah, or you could say that the promised
land is everywhere.”
“It’s kind of revolutionized my thinking,” she added.
Me too.
We’ve stopped messaging, but I’m still chewing on this. Do I
get bogged down in my own view of things in a fallen world that is separated
from heaven, or do I choose to emphasize the presence of the divine in all
things? Right here? Right now?
The promised land is everywhere.
1 comment:
Hmmmmmmmm. Now I'M chewing on this!
Post a Comment