My lower back was out of sorts and grumbly all day, a bent-over
old codger mumbling complaints about an exhaustive list of aches. This evening things came to a head.
“Well now…I suppose this pain could have something to do with shoveling snow, lots of heavy snow,” the lumbar vertebrae snipped, obviously irritated.
“I had no choice!” I retorted. “Would you rather have stayed housebound for
days on end?” My defense was honest but
lame.
The backbone sniffled a long sigh as if to say, “That is not my problem.”
Hmmmmm. I knew it was up to me to reconcile. “Let’s go outside.” It was late, 11:00 p.m., and soon would be
time for bed.
The night lay still and black, its inky sky a deep vault
sprinkled with star-glitter. Stark. Magnificent.
I watched the countless stars, mesmerized by their
collective sparkle, as the hot tub bubbled its therapy, probing the distressed spine with finger-massaging water jets.
We returned inside, both changed for the better – in attitude,
if nothing else. Now it’s 11:30 and time for bed. I think I’m forgiven; maybe my back will let me sleep after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment