My companion for the day was a pint-sized sprite who
celebrated her first birthday last Friday.
This girl is verbal through-and-through, and her temperament tops any
scale: pure, undefiled sweetness.

Today her animated jabber and killer smile filled the entire
house. Unfortunately I can’t duplicate such unique babble in written form, but
this wee one’s dialect - intonations of tone, cadence, and emphasis – defines a
unique baby-speech, maybe a chirpy-twirpy-elfish version of now-obsolete ancient
Mesopotamian in the key of B flat, upper octave only.
Being hearing impaired, the sprite’s highest pitches cut out
and I’m left with dead space with raspy edges.
This tells me my hearing aids are desperate to duplicate a sound I no
longer have the ability to hear, but can’t get the job done. Only part of her
song was audible to me today, but what I heard was delightful. Contagious.
She ate like an elfish piggy, savoring healthy servings of
yogurt, noodles, sweet potatoes, cherries, tangerines, cheese, bread – even her
mom’s green salad with quinoa and cilantro (for grown-up tastes). No picky eater here.

By the way, I learned an important lesson today. If the floppy alligator gets a little too friendly, just flash him a winsome smile and bite his
head off.

Costume
jewelry was a big hit. She loved a pair of elf-sized
sunglasses that almost fit - but wouldn’t leave them on, preferring instead to
take them off and then chirp instructions for me to put them back on, over and
over and over. Necklaces were the
favored accessories du jour to complete her stylish
retro-surfer-girl-gone-Park-Lane look.

No comments:
Post a Comment