After two weeks of procrastination, today I finally prepared
a new batch of soon-to-be raw (fermented, not cooked) sauerkraut. In another week it will be ready to eat.
This isn’t a hard job, just somewhat involved. First I juice
a couple of heads of celery – the juicing and cleaning of the juicer is one
whole process in itself! Then I grate three big heads of cabbage, and finally
add a vegetable culture, a smallish amount of salt, and some caraway seed to the juice before kneading
it into the shredded cabbage for a full 10 minutes. Finally, I pack the mixture into glass
jars and leave it at room temperature for a week. (After the week is up it can be refrigerated indefinitely.)
As you can see, the freshly prepared sauerkraut is bright
green.

When finished fermenting, it will resemble what you see here (left from the
last old batch), and will have an addictive tangy flavor that is delicious as a
condiment to many foods.

I realize sauerkraut may not seem an enticing subject, but I
thought I should share a few important facts.
The Weston Price Foundation lists the following advantages to eating
fermented vegetables:
Fermentation is the only type of food preparation that does not destroy certain nutrients, but enhances them and actually creates more nutrients.
Fermentation removes toxins and harmful bacteria found in many foods.
Fermentation improves digestion, especially when consumed before a meal, and allows for nutrients to be absorbed properly.
Fermentation aids in the preservation and creation of important enzymes and pro-biotics.
Fermentation supports your immune function and increases digestive enzymes, lactase, and lactic acid that fight off harmful bacteria.
Fermentation is the only type of food preparation that does not destroy certain nutrients, but enhances them and actually creates more nutrients.
Fermentation removes toxins and harmful bacteria found in many foods.
Fermentation improves digestion, especially when consumed before a meal, and allows for nutrients to be absorbed properly.
Fermentation aids in the preservation and creation of important enzymes and pro-biotics.
Fermentation supports your immune function and increases digestive enzymes, lactase, and lactic acid that fight off harmful bacteria.
* * *
Fermentation has been around for centuries, but somehow the
tradition has been largely lost in this country amidst tastebuds gone finicky. I suggest you try it. C’mon over next Monday and we’ll sample some fermented kraut with a slab of goat cheese.
1 comment:
Oh, my! The pairing of kraut and goat cheese is just about enough to entice me to head UP there! I never would have thought of the combination, but now I can't get it out of my head.
Post a Comment